tomcat-users mailing list archives

From m...@smartmonsters.com
Subject Re: SIGSEGV 11 (*) segmentation violation
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2000 22:11:58 GMT
My own experience with these SIGSEGV11 crashes tends to point away from
the VM as cause.  Some notes:

1. In my experience, IBM's 1.3 VM has been quite stable on RedHat.  I have
a complex server application which runs for weeks at a time with no
errors.  (Current uptime: 25 days, 17 hours, 3 minutes -- just checked.)
Whereas I do occasionally experience SIGSEGV 11 crashes running Tomcat on
the same machine.  While this doesn't categorically rule out the VM as the
cause, it does seem to point more toward Tomcat than the VM.

2. For me the SIGSEGV 11 crashes didn't happen with Tomcat 3.1.  Only
started when I upgraded to 3.2b2.  Same VM, it was the Tomcat version
which changed.

3. But, it's not clear that the Tomcat upgrade is the cause, since there
was a lot of JSP development happening on the same machine at the same
time.  In particular,  my project began implementing Session management
around the time of the Tomcat upgrade.  It would be possible to rule out
Tomcat version change as the cause by experimentally re-deploying my
app-in-progress on Tomcat 3.1; I may do this while tracking down this
problem.

Again, this doesn't rule out the VM, just tends to point in a different
direction.  I suspect an instability somewhere in the Tomcat
implementation, perhaps something specific to Session management.  Will
have to trace this down before my app moves toward production-readiness.
Will post any new info as it turns up; meanwhile many thanks if you'll do
the same.

Hope this helps,

--Mark

Thomas Hagedorn <Thomas.Hagedorn@alcatel.de>