tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Troy Heninger" <thenin...@browz.com>
Subject Updating Web Applications in Tomcat
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:43:09 GMT
I notice that when I start up Tomcat it unzips my .war file and places the
folders and files in the webapps folder.  I assume this is for speed, so
that Tomcat's class loader doesn't have to deal with compressed files.

However, when I update my .war file, which I do many times per day, Tomcat
does not recognize the updated update and unzip my new file.  Even if I
restart Tomcat it does not recognize the change.  I find that I must
manually delete the unzipped folder and then restart Tomcat to get it to
recognize my changes.

Is there any way to kick Tomcat to tell it to unzip my new .war file?  Is
there any way to do this while Tomcat is still running?  Is this a design or
implementation flaw?  Will it be fixed soon?

I hope the answer to at least one of these questions is "yes".  But, since
this software is free, I can live with this irritating limitation if the
answer to all of these are no.

Troy