tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hammon, Randy" <>
Subject RE: Embedded Tomcat
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:30:29 GMT
Tomcat does, and apparently needlessly, call exit() when a shutdown request
is sent, at least it did as of about a month ago.
I commented it out(had to), and didn't notice any ill-effects. It should,
however, get fixed in the main code. Look for the exit in

Another thing, as of a month ago there was a bug in jsp:include chaining
(the scoping of the urls are not correctly handling an absolute url) that
wasn't recognized by the tomcat developers as a bug, except for the fact
that other 1.1 jsp engines were doing it correctly.

-randy hammon
Evolve software

-----Original Message-----
From: Jakob Hummes []
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 9:37 AM
Subject: Embedded Tomcat

Short question: are there any gotchas that I should be aware about,
before trying to instantiate Tomcat within my own proprietary framework?

Longer Explanation:
We have created a framework in which we can plug-in our own modules.
Each module is loaded by a classloader within the framework, and
instantiated.  I want to deploy Tomact as one of those modules (probably
loaded by an own wrapper to set some proprietary config infos).
When I update the modules of the framework, I first unload the classes,
then load the new classes and instantiate them.  One gotcha could exist,
if Tomcat would do a System.exit() when sending a shutdown request.
Other gotchas still to explore ;-)
So, please let me know, if you know about code, which would make this
task complicated...

Thanks in advance,
- Jakob

View raw message