tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jungho Kim <jung...@sympatico.ca>
Subject tomcat 3.0 on freebsd 4.1 stable
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:44:23 GMT
Hello all,

I currently have  Apache 1.3.12, tomcat 3.0, and php 4.0 set up on a FreeBSD
4.1 box.  Tomcat, was working fine until I installed php4.0 as a dso onto
the same Apache server.  Here are the details:

I have set up a webapp context (say called application) mapped to
http:url.com/application like so in the server.xml file:

<Context path="/hotline3"
docBase="/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/application" debug="0"
reloadable="false" >
</Context>

In the tomcat-apache.conf file that I include into httpd.conf, I create an
alias that maps /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/application to
http://url.com/application.

In the web.xml file in the tomcat installations root directory, I map the
"invoker" servlet to /servlet/* (this is the default)

In the web.xml file specific to my application in the WEB-INF directory
under /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/application, I register all my servlets like
so:

<servlet>
    <servlet-name>Servlet1</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>com.url.Servlet1</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Servlet1</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/Servlet1</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

Therefore, a url like http://url.com/application/servlet/Servlet1 should
invoke Servlet1.  However, this is the case ONLY if I invoke the servlet
within a jsp page using a <jsp:forward/> tag like so:

<jsp:forward page="/servlet/Servlet1" />

Since I use an absolute url in the jsp:forward tag (/ would map to the
application context, i.e. http://url.com/application/) the actual url the
request is being forwarded to is
http://url.com/application/servlet/Servlet1.
However, if I try to access the servlet through typing in the url into the
location field of the browser I get a 404 error!  Yet it is fine when
invoked through a jsp:forward tag.  The servlet implements both the GET and
POST methods.

As I said, this worked before I installed PHP4.0 as a dso into the same
Apache installation.  I know the PHP intallation process does change the
http.conf file so I reverted to the http.conf file I backed up before
installing PHP yet directly accessing servlets still throws a 404 error.

If anyone knows why this is happening I would appreciate hearing from you.

thanks,

jungho kim