tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John_Ew...@keybank.com
Subject JDBC ODBC crashes tomcat
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:25:44 GMT

I am trying to det up a simple web app that interacts with a ms access db.  Any
time I interact with the database tomcat (not immediately) shuts down.
For instance, I have a static html page which sends a userid and password to a
servlet, the servlet calls a login controller class, which calls a userObject
class which opens the database, userObject class sends the results back to the
logincontroller class, which checks the password and sends the results back to
the servlet. the servlet then rd.forwards the corresponding .jsp file.  The app
always crashes on the forward, but if I exclude the database stuff It works
fine.  Has anyone experienced this before?  If you need more code I will post
it.

John

DB Code:

  //---------------------------------------
  // Authenticate the User
  //---------------------------------------
  private boolean authUser(){
    openDB();
    try {
      if (mConnection != null){ //we have a connection
        select = mConnection.createStatement();
        rs = select.executeQuery("SELECT userPass FROM keylinkUserAuth WHERE
userSSN = '" + logonID.trim() + "'");
        rs.next();
        if(password.equals(rs.getString("userPass"))){
          closeDB();
          return true;
          }
       }
    }catch (SQLException sqle) {
       System.err.println(sqle.getMessage());
       }
    closeDB();
    return false;
}

  //---------------------------------------
  // Open the Database
  //---------------------------------------
  public void openDB(){
    try{
      //System.out.println("Trying to open Database...");
      DriverManager.registerDriver(new sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver());
      mConnection = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:keylink","","");
      //System.out.println("Database opened");
      }
    catch(SQLException e){("Database
      System.err.println("SQL Exception, unable to load driver.");
      e.printStackTrace();
      }
    catch(Exception e){();SQL
      System.err.println("Exception, unable to load driver.");
      e.printStackTrace();
    }
  }// end openDB()

  //---------------------------------------
  // Close the Database
  //---------------------------------------
  public void closeDB(){
    try{
      mConnection.commit();
      mConnection.close();
      //System.out.println("Database closed");
      }

    catch(SQLException e){("Database
      System.err.println("SQL Exception, unable to close database connection.");
      e.printStackTrace();
      }
    catch(Exception e){();SQL
      System.err.println("Exception, unable to close database connection.");
      e.printStackTrace();
    }
  }// end closeDB()