tomcat-users mailing list archives

From mr...@eforceinc.com
Subject Tomcat classpath
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:10:11 GMT
My servlet uses XML via xerces.jar (v 1.1.3) which is placed in the lib
directory for my servlet. In particular it uses the level 2 DOM features in
this parser.

In order to get Ant or Tomcat to use the features in xerces.jar I have to
modify both ant.bat/ant.sh and tomcat.bat/tomcat.sh to make sure that my
classpath overrides the default that includes $TOMCAT_HOME$/lib/xml.jar (DOM
level 1 compliant)

1. It took me quite a while to work out where the problem was.
2. My application distribution documentation no longer has one line that
says, "Install Tomcat according to the instructions packaged with the 3.1
release. It now has about a page of instructions on how and where to modify
Tomcat once it is installed.

My question... is this the best way to stop Tomcat's default classpath
over-riding the .jar files in your lib directory? Or is there a better way
that avoids modifying the basic Tomcat install configuration?

Thanks,
Matt.