tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <>
Subject RE: BUILD FATAL ERROR: srcdir does not exist!
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:07:31 GMT
Make sure your build directory structure looks like this:

myapp\src\[all your .java files here]
myapp\web\[your .html/.jsp pages here]
myapp\web\images[your images here]

That is the basic structure of a build environment on NT.  It looks like you
didn't have an src dir.

also, in your build.xml, you may need to include the following line for
tomcat 3.1:

 <property name="build.compiler" value="classic"/>

Without that line, my .java files don't get compiled.  This is not the case
in Tomcat 3.2.  Actually, if you are just getting started with Tomcat, you
should really be working with the most recent beta release of Tomcat 3.2.
There are some changes in how things work and how things are structured.  I
would forget about 3.1 at this point.

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 9:49 AM
Subject: BUILD FATAL ERROR: srcdir does not exist!

excuse my bad English. I downloaded Tomcat 3.1 and installed on my PC. I
use Windows 95 and JDK 1.3. Every environment variables I have properly
set. I am trying to build sample application, which is in doc/appdev/sample
1) First I got error concerning with SAX XML parser and the cause was, that
in build.xml file was missing "/>" at the end of line
  <property name=""       value="myapp"
So, please, correct it in downloadable files!

2) Then when I started build from ms-dos prompt (beeing in directory
...samples), I have following error:

Buildfile: build.xml
Project base dir set to: C:\java\sample
The items attribute is deprecated. Please use the includes attribute.
The items attribute is deprecated. Please use the includes attribute.
Executing Target: prepare
Created dir: C:\java\tomcat\webapps\myapp
Copying 3 files to C:\java\tomcat\webapps\myapp
Created dir: C:\java\tomcat\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF
Created dir: C:\java\tomcat\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF\classes
Created dir: C:\java\tomcat\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF\lib
BUILD FATAL ERROR: srcdir does not exist!

But subdirectory src subdirectory exists and in build.xml is

  <target name="compile" depends="prepare" init="init">
    <javac srcdir="src" destdir="${deploy.home}/WEB-INF/classes"
           debug="on" optimize="off" deprecation="off"/>

I had to compile HelloWorld separately by javac and place it to
webapps/myapp/Web-inf/classes and then it worked ok. When I tried to use
JDK1.2.2 I had the same problem, and also in Linux.
So, please, what is wrong?

Thank you very much. Have a good time.

Michal Mazny.Prague.Czech Republic.Europe.World.Universe.God

View raw message