tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sandor Spruit <aspr...@acm.org>
Subject Re[2]: How can I avoid the String ".../servlet/..." in URL?
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 09:05:54 GMT

Hello all,

On Tuesday, September 05, 2000, 6:29:09 PM, Simon Kitching wrote:

> [...]

Kitching>         [Kitching Simon]
Kitching>         No, I doubt it.

Kitching> To summarize, you don't want your servlets to have a prefix
Kitching> that the webserver can use to tell them apart from html
Kitching> pages, and you don't want to specify them one-by-one. So how
Kitching> is the webserver going to know what is a servlet and what
Kitching> isn't ???

Okay. I have some trouble refering to my servlets using URLs. Maybe
some of you kind folks could help me out here. Here's what I've done:

(1) I've a user defined context, with HTML pages, servlets, the works.
    All of this stuff can be addressed via the Tomcat's built-in http
    server, no problem. No Apache as yet.

(2) My context's web.xml contains a list of servlet elements, with the
    servlet names and classes. The classes live in WEB-INF\classes. No
    user defined packages, just the default one.

No: how to I refer to MyServlet from inside an arbitrary HTML file ? I
have tried /servlet/MyServlet and /servlets/MyServlet. But only using
a full and absolute URL seems to work, i.e. a mapping "mounting" the
servlet somewhere in the server's file space, then http:// etc.

I have a gut feeling this is not the way it is supposed to work :( But
I can't get it to work otherwise. Since this is the only thing I have
not yet figured out, any suggestions would be much appreciated ...

Regards,
Sandor
--
ir A.G.L. Spruit, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
Institute of information and computing sciences