tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "O'Hagan, Shaun" <soha...@tanning.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 3.1 Scalability
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:56:33 GMT
Hi Darren,

It is unlikely that a single copy of tomcat or indeed any other web server
will be sufficient to handle "large" concurrent client access applications.
For scalability you should consider providing multiple tomcat instances
running on separate platforms (cheap PC's running Linux are a good option),
and frontend them with a load balancer that will distribute the HTTP
connection load across your servers.  As the load increases you can simply
"plug" in another Linux box with tomcat and your application and increase
your capability that way.

NB however that you should be mindfull of session state management,

Regards,

Shaun O'Hagan

Tanning Technology Europe

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Witham [mailto:delian72@hotmail.com]
Sent: 27 September 2000 09:25
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 3.1 Scalability

Hi,

   In fear of asking a rather open ended question that may have been
answered on this list in the past, I would like to get details regarding how

well Tomcat 3.1 scales when a number of simultaneous requests are submitted.

   I have been involved in the build of a simple application running on
Tomcat 3.1 that simply receives a small amount of data, makes a database
connection via JDBC (using a connection pool), and populates a backend
database table.

   The basic setup is as detailed in the Tomcat user guide, i.e Apache
serves up the static pages, Tomcat deals with the JSP/servlet components and

a thread pool is configured in Server.xml.

   The question I basically have is that we are potentially going to use the

same architecture for a very similar application in terms of functionality,
but the new application is a lot more high profile with a high likelyhood
that many more users are going to submit data.

   I have been informed by a colleague that he has heard that Tomcat does
not scale well and can indeed fallover if a 'high' number of simultaneous
requests are submitted. I myself have not heard of this and have found
nothing to suggest this is the case.

   Has anyone else come across this concern in the past or is it completely
unfounded ????

   Thanks in advance.

Darren