tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: distribution Web ARchive (WAR) file
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:20:35 GMT
ann patil wrote:

> Thanks,
>        Actually I am using Tomcat1.3 and Jdk1.2 and Oracle8i Enterprise
> Edition as my database.What I wanted to know was after creating the
> distribution Web ARchive (WAR) file by using 'Ant.bat' utility if I am not
> wrong and deploying the file on the site say(abc.com) the resources that
> have to be deployed with the build.
>
> Please note: This is my first web project.I am new to Tomcat.

A properly designed webapp should be self-contained -- for example, all the JAR
files you depend on should be in WEB-INF/lib, any properties files you need to
access should be accessed with getResource() instead of file i/o, all the
config parameters should be set up in web.xml, and so on.

If the servlet container on the production system is Tomcat, all you have to do
is put the WAR file in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps and restart Tomcat.  If it is some
other servlet container, you will need to follow the deployment instructions of
that container.