tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: CVS for servletapi-4.0
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:17:32 GMT
"Andrew B. Sudell" wrote:

> Craig R. McClanahan writes:
>  > Anthony Marino wrote:
>  >
>  > > What is the path to the CVS servletapi4.0?
>  > >
>  > > Thank You.
>  >
>  > The API classes for the new spec versions (servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2) are
>  > in the same CVS module (jakarta-servletapi) as the classes for the
>  > current versions -- they are just on a separate branch.  To check out
>  > the new version of these classes, you would do something like this:
>  >
>  >     cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@jakarta.apache.org:/home/cvspublic \
>  >         checkout -r SERVLET_23_JSP_12 jakarta-servletapi
>  >
>  > For the convenience of non-CVS users, nightly builds of the new-version
>  > API classes are available at:
>  >
>  >     http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-servletapi-4.0/nightly
>  >
>  > and source versions at
>  >
>  >     http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-servletapi-4.0/nightly/src
>  >

> I got my self confused checking out the head of Tomcat the other day.
> As near as I can figure, if I want Tomcat 3.x I really seem to want
> the tomcat_32 branches of tomcat and servletapi.
>
> Am I close to right?

If you want to track the changes to the 3.2 code base, you are right -- check
out the "tomcat_32" branch of each.

> What is the branching strategy for tomcat and related projects as work
> on tomcat 4.0, Servlet 2.3, etc ramps up?

Two different answers, depending on the package.

* For the "jakarta-servletapi" module, the main branch should always
  contain the current official spec versions, and a branch contains
  the new spec release under review.  For now, that means that the
  main branch is Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1, and branch "SERVLET_23_JSP_12"
  contains the Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 API classes.  At some future
  point, after the new specs go final, the 2.2/1.1 classes will become
  a branch (so you can always go back and get them, and the 2.3/1.2
  classes will become the main line.

* For Tomcat 4.0, the code you want is in the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0"
  module.  No branches are currently needed, although tags are used
  to mark releases.

* For Tomcat 3.2, you need the "tomcat_32" branch of the
  "jakarta-tomcat" module, as you have discovered.

> Does it make sense to publish the branch tag names on the "how to get
> this from cvs" page?

It probably does, although most people who know enough about CVS to even ask
this question can usually figure it out pretty quickly :-).

There are also nightly builds of each of the relevant modules, so you don't
even have to mess with CVS if you don't want to.

> Drew

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat