tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "surinder singh" <surindersi...@bflsoftware.com>
Subject Re: multiple instances of tomcat
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2000 04:17:03 GMT
I also expect the same. I asked this question in pecific to tomcat due to
some reasons:
1) I couldn't find where 'webcache' is alised to tomcat so why the request
coming to 8080 should go to tomcat
2) In section 5.2 of  documentation at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/appdev/processes.html

  author says: "With multiple developers, it is easiest to install Tomcat
separately for each of them, so that they can have their own TOMCAT_HOME (as
well as start and stop Tomcat) independently. "
how it is feasible as at one time only one process can listen at a port on a
IP address i.e. two processes can not share same  IP/port simultaneously.
3) If it is done by changing port from 8080 to say 9001, 9002, ... and so on
for individual users on the same host , how to do that.

Isn't it good to provide the user with a directory in his own user space
where one can put servlets and the tomcat ( single instance on the machine)
takes the servlets from there and processes them. Like in apache we can use
IP/~usename/ to take contents from /home/username/public_html, is there
anything similiar.

Regards,
Surinder

Kevin Jones wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean but 8080/UDP and 8080/TCP are two different
> sockets so they can be opened idependantly. If two processes bith try and
> open 8080/tcp (or udp) on the same ip address then then first one in will
> win,

I am sure tomcat will use TCP but thought may be for something that I don't
know it may use UDP.