tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: differences between 3.2 and 4.0
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:46:49 GMT
"Amrhein, Thomas" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> will there be any differences concerning deployment issues
> between Tomcat 3.2 and 4.0 since both will be ready for production?

For default use (put your WAR file or your web app directory into webapps),
nothing changes other than the startup and shutdown script name (catalina
instead of tomcat).

If you are configuring any non-default behavior in your "server.xml" file,
there will be detailed changes in the parameters that make 3.2 versions of the
file incompatible.

One change that you'll appreciate -- the 4.0 version of server.xml will have
documentation describing all the standard options :-).

> Concrete: is it possible to reuse the 3.2 XML-/startup-/shutdown-files for
> 4.0?
> Or is it better to develop for 4.0 now to minimize wasted time?

That somewhat depends on your needs.  If you need to deploy soon, or dislike
using relatively new code, stick with 3.2.  If you're a little more
adventerous, or you need servlet 2.3 / JSP 1.2 features, go with 4.0.  If
you're going to be depending on lots of internal features (like writing your
own RequestInterceptors for 3.2 or Valves for 4.0), I would definitely lean
towards what you are going to ultimately deploy on -- the programming model
for these things is quite a bit different.

One very common case will be developing a pure webapp (i.e. no dependencies on
internal Tomcat details, just on standard servlet 2.2 / JSP 1.1 behavior).  In
this case, you can easily develop (and even deploy) on 3.2, and switch to 4.0
later, because from the web app perspective there is no difference, and the
configuration file change is small enough not to sweat.

> regards,
>
> Thomas

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat