tomcat-users mailing list archives

From yangyuexiang <yangy...@comp.nus.edu.sg>
Subject Re: SIGSEGV 11 (*) segmentation violation
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 01:54:52 GMT
I also met SIGSEGV11 crashes.

I run java 3D_1.2 (from blackdown ) and JVM of IBM 1.3.
When I dynamically change the content of the scene graph, this
crash happened. I never had a solution. Also I ever tried Blackdown
jdk1.2.2.
The result is the  same.

yangyuexiang

mark@smartmonsters.com wrote:

> My own experience with these SIGSEGV11 crashes tends to point away
> from the VM as cause.  Some notes:
>
> 1. In my experience, IBM's 1.3 VM has been quite stable on RedHat.  I
> have a complex server application which runs for weeks at a time with
> no errors.  (Current uptime: 25 days, 17 hours, 3 minutes -- just
> checked.)  Whereas I do occasionally experience SIGSEGV 11 crashes
> running Tomcat on the same machine.  While this doesn't categorically
> rule out the VM as the cause, it does seem to point more toward Tomcat
> than the VM.
>
> 2. For me the SIGSEGV 11 crashes didn't happen with Tomcat 3.1.  Only
> started when I upgraded to 3.2b2.  Same VM, it was the Tomcat version
> which changed.
>
> 3. But, it's not clear that the Tomcat upgrade is the cause, since
> there was a lot of JSP development happening on the same machine at
> the same time.  In particular,  my project began implementing Session
> management around the time of the Tomcat upgrade.  It would be
> possible to rule out Tomcat version change as the cause by
> experimentally re-deploying my app-in-progress on Tomcat 3.1; I may do
> this while tracking down this problem.
>
> Again, this doesn't rule out the VM, just tends to point in a
> different direction.  I suspect an instability somewhere in the Tomcat
> implementation, perhaps something specific to Session management.
> Will have to trace this down before my app moves toward
> production-readiness.  Will post any new info as it turns up;
> meanwhile many thanks if you'll do the same.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --Mark
>

>  Thomas Hagedorn <Thomas.Hagedorn@alcatel.de>
   Sent by:                                                                   To:
   tomcat-user-return-10461-mark=smartmonsters.com@jakarta.apache.org tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org,
                                                                      sabourdin@cybericare.com
   09/05/2000 05:13 AM                                                        cc:
   Please respond to tomcat-user                                              Subject:
    Re:
                                                                      SIGSEGV 11 (*) segmentation
                                                                      violation