tomcat-users mailing list archives

From GOMEZ Henri <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: SIGSEGV 11 (*) segmentation violation
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 05:44:54 GMT
Just for information when I do java -version I got :

java version "1.3.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0)
Classic VM (build 1.3.0, J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build cx130-20000623 (JIT enabled:
jitc))

Seems you have the pre version of IBM 1.3 SDK.

PS: My version was installed from RPMs

-
Unix is like a 'hogan' -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.

-----Original Message-----
From: mark@smartmonsters.com [mailto:mark@smartmonsters.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 12:12 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: SIGSEGV 11 (*) segmentation violation

My own experience with these SIGSEGV11 crashes tends to point away from the
VM as cause.  Some notes:

1. In my experience, IBM's 1.3 VM has been quite stable on RedHat.  I have a
complex server application which runs for weeks at a time with no errors.
(Current uptime: 25 days, 17 hours, 3 minutes -- just checked.)  Whereas I
do occasionally experience SIGSEGV 11 crashes running Tomcat on the same
machine.  While this doesn't categorically rule out the VM as the cause, it
does seem to point more toward Tomcat than the VM.

2. For me the SIGSEGV 11 crashes didn't happen with Tomcat 3.1.  Only
started when I upgraded to 3.2b2.  Same VM, it was the Tomcat version which
changed.

3. But, it's not clear that the Tomcat upgrade is the cause, since there was
a lot of JSP development happening on the same machine at the same time.  In
particular,  my project began implementing Session management around the
time of the Tomcat upgrade.  It would be possible to rule out Tomcat version
change as the cause by experimentally re-deploying my app-in-progress on
Tomcat 3.1; I may do this while tracking down this problem.

Again, this doesn't rule out the VM, just tends to point in a different
direction.  I suspect an instability somewhere in the Tomcat implementation,
perhaps something specific to Session management.  Will have to trace this
down before my app moves toward production-readiness.  Will post any new
info as it turns up; meanwhile many thanks if you'll do the same.

Hope this helps,

--Mark

	Thomas Hagedorn <Thomas.Hagedorn@alcatel.de>
Sent by: tomcat-user-return-10461-mark=smartmonsters.com@jakarta.apache.org