tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: port-question
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:26:11 GMT

[Kitching Simon]

Hi,

I suspoect that this is not the answer Thijs was looking for.
Perhaps I am wrong, but I think you need to know:

There are two ways of using tomcat:
* tomcat is a web server itself. In this mode, you
point your browser at tomcat's http port and IIS
isn't involved at all.
* tomcat is a "helper" to IIS. In this mode, you add
a special dll and some config files to IIS. Then you
point your browser at IIS and (due to the config file)
IIS figures out which URLs are really tomcat-related,
and calls tomcat via the dll. In this mode, tomcat's
http port is irrelevant because it isn't used (and you
should actually turn it off before deploying to production).

And of course you can't have two applications running
on the same port at the same time. Microsoft always
distributes their apps in a "greedy" mode, where they
grab the real port. To be more polite, tomcat's default
install uses port 8080, not port 80, though you can
change this - as long as you make sure you've shut
down all other apps that are using this port. There is
also a unix-related issue with port 80, so 8080 is better
for unix users.

See the tomcat documentation for how to make tomcat
work as a "helper" for IIS. And there are also lots of
emails in the archives that you can search for...

Hope I guessed your question right...

Ceers,

Simon