tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: Using TOMCAT as Service on NT
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:29:53 GMT
Hi,

If any code in a jsp page, or anything called from a jsp page (like a
bean) throws an exception of any kind, then you are likely to get an
IllegalStateException reported.

The cause is that tomcat catches the original exception, and tries to
redirect the client browser to an error page, but this is not possible
if the first part of a page has already been sent, so tomcat ends up
throwing an IllegalStateException, hiding the original exception.

Anyway, my guess is that for some reason part of your code, or
a bean that you call from one of your pages, is throwing an exception
when running as a service but not as a normal app started by a logged-in
user. Perhaps something to do with file access permissions? Or environment
variables?

All I can suggest to track this down is to put lots of logging statements
in your code, to try and track down where the original hidden exception
is coming from....

Regards,

Simon