tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: Tomcat an not find JDBC driver on Win98.
Date Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:30:09 GMT
Hi,

	[Kitching Simon]

	There's nothing magical about how tomcat's classpath gets set up.
	It's all done with standard shell-script (unix) or batch file (win).

	Have a look at the difference between "startup.sh" and
"startup.bat".

	startup.sh (used on unix) is clever enough to look for all files in
the
	$TOMCAT_HOME/lib directory, and add them all to the CLASSPATH
	environment variable. Note that it doesn't care at all what the
suffix is,
	any file gets added to the path, so better not put non-library files
in
	this directory!

	startup.bat (windows) on the other hand, only adds an explicit set
	of files to the classpath. Either the author of this wasn't quite as
	clever as the author of startup.sh, or else it simply wasn't
possible
	to do it in a dos batch file.

	So you could just go with your current fix of adding it to the
classpath
	on windows before calling the tomcat "startup.bat" file. Or you
could
	hack the tomcat startup.bat file.

	I suggest, however, that you put the library in your app/WEB-INF/lib
	directory instead; the point of this is that if you ever move the
webapp,
	or make another installation, then you just need to copy the wepapp
	directory tree (including WEB-INF) to have a fully-functioning
webapp
	at the other end. If you have special libs in the tomcat directory,
then
	it's harder to move webapps around.

	Two notes:

	(a) above you said you tried "webapps/myapp/lib". I presume
	you mean "webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/lib".

	(b) I think that tomcat only recognises ".jar" files in the
WEB-INF/lib
	directory, not ".zip", so try changing the suffix on the ".zip" file
	to the standards-compliant ".jar" suffix. They are *not* the same,
	although windows developers tend to treat them as identical. One
	is a compression format, one is a java archive file - they just
happen
	to be compatible at the moment.

	Hope this answers your question..

	Regards,