tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: How can I avoid the String ".../servlet/..." in URL?
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2000 16:29:09 GMT

	[Kitching Simon]
	No, I doubt it.

	To summarize, you don't want your servlets to have a prefix that the
webserver
	can use to tell them apart from html pages, and you don't want to
specify them
	one-by-one. So how is the webserver going to know what is a servlet
and what isn't???
	Yes, tomcat could check *every* url by searching for a class of the
same name, before
	looking for an html page (or vice versa) but that's a performance
hit I think you don't want.

	An alternative is for the webserver to look at every class in its
classpath to see if
	it is a servlet, and if so create a mapping from /classname to the
servlet class.
	Perhaps feasable, but this assumes a 1:1 mapping from class name to
servlet
	url, which generally is not desirable. And certainly not what tomcat
does.....