tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mike Papper <mp...@geocities.com>
Subject tomcat iis-how to fails on windows 2000
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 05:18:46 GMT
I have several questions here:
1) tomcat iis how-to
2) tomcat config properties for its server.xml – wheres the "reference
doc" for this

Hello, I am a programmer trying to get system admin work done...I have
built some very cool JSP stuff and it is time to get it off my desktop
onto a "real" machine (one with a DNS associated with it). I have some
quick questions maybe you could shed some light on...

I followed the tomcat-iis how-to very carefully. I have 2 questions:
1)
Add a string value with the name extension_uri and a value of
/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll
The value "/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll" – should is be this value all the
time – even if my install directory is c:\java\tomcat\...?

2)
Using the IIS management console, add a new virtual directory to your
IIS/PWS web site
What do you mean by "to YOUR web site". Our iis seems to have 3 or 4 "web
sites". Does it matter which one I add it to (or I guess I could add a
virtual path to all of them). I assume that each web site listens on
different ports or for different paths and thats how iis distinguishes
requests for the different 'sites'.

My Problem: when I stop/retsart iis it shows that the filter has failed
to load. I followed the instruction up to

Restart IIS (stop + start the IIS admin server

and then looked at the "filter:" and it had failed (down red arrow). (No
info in the event log). Does this step depend at all on the values in
workers.properties? Or uriworkermap.properties
? I.e. I am trying to isolate the problem.

Some Facts:
-----------
The dll I am using is the binary downloded about 2 months ago and is
98304 bytes and the download page says april 18, 2000. This is the latest
copy for tomcat 3.1. I just downloaded the very latest (tomcat
3.2-beta-5) and will try that tomorrow.

Possible Other problems: what is ajp12 - I certainly did not install it –
do I need to? It sound slike ajp12 is a protocol that the redirector uses
(and it knows how to use it already, and tomcat knows how to use it too).

Other Questions (you may be able to shed some light?)
Concerning contexts: I want to serve my website (in tomcat/webapps/hhw as
the "default" context, i.e., www.host.com/index.jsp should be for my hhw
context. I do not want to have to have my users type an extra hhw all the
time. Any ideas about this? There must be a way to configure tomcat to
use only this default site, but I connot find any doco on the server.xml
file as used by tomcat. Any idea where it explains all the ins and outs
for this file (source code?)?

And...the instructions for the "in process" how-to say I need to do the
tomcat-iis how -to. Is this really necessary? Does the in-process version
use the redirect dll?