tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <>
Subject Re: Java Color Model, Windows, Tomcat and Servlets
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2000 13:14:28 GMT
See the jGuru Servlet FAQ for the answer:

"Is there any way to generate offscreen images without relying on the
native graphics support? I'd like to create an image without an X
server running."

You are right to blame Java :-) but also blame Win2K for assuming all
your graphics will be at screen resolution.  I once had to write a
servlet that generated images that had to run on a server with an
8-bit graphics card, so they always came out wrong.  My solution was
to write the PureGraphics class (see FAQ) which does everything in

Cheers -

 - Alex

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 07:18:55PM +0200, Jakob Hummes wrote:
> Hi,
> we have developed some charting servlets and had a big surprise after
> installing them on the server of our customer: The x- and y-axes weren't
> visible anymore.
> After some thoughts we tested the same code once again on our machines
> (Windows 2000), but this time we set the resolution to standard VGA with
> only 256 colors: Suprise again, the axes were gone.  Setting it back to
> true color gave the correct graphics.
> Conclusion: Somehow the servlet rendered the chart with the resolution
> of the server (I blame Java here) and produced (faulty?) 256 color
> charts.
> So my questions:
> 1) Is there a way, I can tell Tomcat/Java to use another resolution than
> the resolution provided by the server (which typically even has no
> graphic card)?
> 2) Do you know other tricks how to circumvent this problem?
> Thanks,
> - Jakob

Alex Chaffee
jGuru - Java News and FAQs