tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Lambert, Stephen : CO IR" <SLamb...@LHS.ORG>
Subject Installing Tomcat on Linux --startup.sh
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:06:31 GMT
I have a Redhat 6.2 /Apache web server with JRE1.2.2 installed.

Now, I'm trying to install Tomcat. I have untarred the Jakarta-Tomcat.tar
and chown -R to root for /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat.
I have the following environment variables in my /root/.bash_profile

TOMCAT_HOME=usr/local/jakarta-tomcat

JAVA_HOME=usr/local/jre1.2.2
and /usr/local/jre1.2.2/bin has been added to the PATH.

Without editing any of the Tomcat scripts, I tried to run the startup.sh
script from
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/bin/
I get the following error:

./tomcat.sh: usr/local/jre1.2.2/bin/java: no such file or directory

This seems odd, since that from the command line in any directory, I can get
the java -version to respond, but not with the startup.sh script!

I'm finding the install docs difficult to understand since I'm not
installing JDK!
Any suggestions as to why the startup.sh is not finding
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/bin/java, even though it is part of the path.
Are there any web pages that someone could point me to that give a checklist
on installing Tomcat on Linux?

Thanks,
Stephen.