tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Bremford" <mi...@paperx.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Marketing - JDBC drivers with Tomcat
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2000 18:48:36 GMT
I don't think you'd find many objections. Sure, the purists want everything
to be open source, but the rest of us just want a solution that works,
yesterday. Most of us using Oracle or Sybase or other big-iron DB's are
already using closed source JDBC drivers anyway.

If a shop can afford to hire staff to work with Tomcat and JDBC, then it can
sure afford to fork out for a driver - it's the least of their worries.

My 2c :-)

Cheers... Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: greg stasko [mailto:greg.stasko@merant.com]
Sent: 07 September 2000 19:18
To: tomcat user jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [OT] Marketing - JDBC drivers with Tomcat

I'm with a commercial software vendor (don't stone me, please) and wanted to
ask a question to Tomcat users. I hope this isn't too out of bounds, since
it is to promote use of Tomcat.

What are users opinions about buying "accessories" for opensource products,
like Tomcat? In my case, I'm interested in reactions to buying JDBC drivers
for use with what is effectively a "free" product, at least as far as
license fees go.

This somewhat relates to the "in production" discussion that occurred
earlier. I would wager that unless Tomcat was viewed as appropriate to be
used in a production environment, paid for drivers probably wouldn't be very
likely.

Thoughts, comments or cuss words?

Greg Stasko
MERANT