tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Bremford" <mi...@paperx.com>
Subject RE: Using mod_rewrite with Tomcat
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:54:11 GMT
What exactly are you trying to do? If you want to redirect everything from
the ROOT context to another context, wouldn't it be easier just to move
everything to the ROOT context instead?

As tomcat currently stands, for internal (no [R] flag) redirects it will
*ALWAYS* work from the original URI, not the rewritten one.

I struggled trying to get mod_rewrite going for weeks, and slowly came to
the conclusion that for anything complicated it wasn't going to work (at
least not like it does for CGI scripts) because the servlet spec states that
a URI has to map to a file exactly.

However, if you really want to use mod_rewrite and want tomcat to use the
rewritten URI's, see
http://archives2.real-time.com/pipermail/tomcat-devel/2000-September/005853.
html for a discussion on why it's not going to be quite what you're
expecting, and a patch (which worked for me).

Cheers... Mike