tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Bremford" <mi...@paperx.com>
Subject RE: What does "ApJServMount default /root" mean?
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:57:22 GMT
Hi James

I thought it was case sensitive too, but a closer look at the source says
otherwise (from Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:
f("ROOT".equalsIgnoreCase( contextPath ) ) contextPath=null;)

So for "root", read "ROOT".

The root context is (like you said) the default context - so if no other
context matches it uses this one.

As for where it serves the pages from - think of tomcat and apache as two
seperate web servers (they are, after all).

1. You ask for /index.html. Apache looks in it's document root, finds the
file and serves it.
2. You ask for /index.jsp. Apache says "aha, it's a JSP", and forwards it to
tomcat, which looks in *it's* document root and finds it.

99% of the time you're going to want to set Tomcat's document root (well,
the path to the /ROOT context) and  Apache's document root to be the same
thing. You have to do this yourself - it won't do it for you.

Hope that helps.

Cheers... Mike