tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Bremford" <mi...@paperx.com>
Subject Bus error revisited - connected to "reloadable"?
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:25:23 GMT
Hi guys...

I knew I'd seen it before... I've just got this as well, with a similar
setup (Alvaro was running Solaris 2.7 with Tomcat 3.1, but I'm running
3.2b2)

* Solaris 2.7 with the default Java 1.2 setup (Solaris VM (build
Solaris_JDK_1.2.1_02a, native threads, sunwjit)
* Tomcat 3.2b2
* Apache 1.3.12 + mod_jserv, both compiled from source.

The funny thing is that tomcat has been running fine for about 5 weeks
without dropping once, except when I bounced it manually to reload a bean. I
got fed up with doing this, so I set "reloadable=true" on my context.

2 minutes and 4 jsps later, it crashed! I didn't catch the error - nothing
in the logs, no processs running - but quickly backed out the "reloadable"
change and restarted tomcat. Two minutes later, it crashed *again* with this
result:

Bus Error
    si_signo [10]: Bus Error
    si_errno [0]: Error 0
    si_code [1]: BUS_ADRALN [addr: 0x8009]
        stackpointer=FA45FF10
*** panic: JIT signal handler did not take the signal
Test for suspension on thread: 40 in process 11463 ...

What does this tell me? Damned if I know, but I'm steering well clear of the
"reloadable" flag, and I'm unsure what was going on with the second crash
(as I'd already backed out the change). I seem to remember that the
"reloadable" aspect of tomcat is still officially flakey - is this expected
behaviour? What is the accepted wisdom on using it in a production
environment?

Cheers... Mike