tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James Cook" <jimc...@iname.com>
Subject Re: Updating Web Applications in Tomcat
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:43:21 GMT
Troy,

Not being a committer, I would venture a guess that this is an oversight. I
suppose it would be most proper if the war expander class unzips any files that
are new or newer when Tomcat starts. It would also be good if it removes files
that are not in the archive. It is uncompressed in the first place because a lot
of the JSP stuff requires classes to be generated (written to disk). There may
be a bunch of other reasons it is expanded as well.

Thinking about it (and not knowing the history), I'm not sure why they expand a
war. Any files that need to be written, can still be written to the current
locations.

jim

----- Original Message -----
From: Troy Heninger
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 11:43 AM
Subject: Updating Web Applications in Tomcat

I notice that when I start up Tomcat it unzips my .war file and places the
folders and files in the webapps folder.  I assume this is for speed, so that
Tomcat's class loader doesn't have to deal with compressed files.

However, when I update my .war file, which I do many times per day, Tomcat does
not recognize the updated update and unzip my new file.  Even if I restart
Tomcat it does not recognize the change.  I find that I must manually delete the
unzipped folder and then restart Tomcat to get it to recognize my changes.

Is there any way to kick Tomcat to tell it to unzip my new .war file?  Is there
any way to do this while Tomcat is still running?  Is this a design or
implementation flaw?  Will it be fixed soon?

I hope the answer to at least one of these questions is "yes".  But, since this
software is free, I can live with this irritating limitation if the answer to
all of these are no.

Troy