Probably the problem arises from the roots of windows: DOS. There COM was a device-name and under some circumstances it could be interpreted as such a device, when used in a path or as a filename.
-----Original Message-----
From: Boniakowski,Jeb [mailto:JBoniakowski@nntllc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 11:32 PM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: dumb question regarding servlets in packages running in tomcat.

I think that fixed it!  Thanks.

I still don't really understand why, though, and this is why I'm posting again.  Maybe if anyone that works on tomcat is reading this, they could chime in, or just someone who knows more than I do.

I went through everything, did a lot of tests, made a whole new "hello world" webapp (though in a package) and it all worked fine when I created it with "com.foo.bar" as my package.  So I went through the real stuff and changed everything from "COM.nntllc.*" to "com.nntllc.*".  I don't know if I inadvertently moved something else or something, but it works now.  The behavior before was not totally deterministic.  I'd get different errors from different computers and ways of submitting.  However, now it works under all circumstances.

Why does this matter?  I have upcase in the classnames.  Does it only amtter with dirs?

Let's say win98 consistently handles case in a case-insensitive, though case-preserving manner.  Why would this happen?  COM=com in that mode.  If it's case sensitive, than it should still work fine.  I was always calling it "COM".  No inconsistencies.

I was, however, using cygwin.  Does this diddle the case anywhere?

Somewhere in the chain of all my stuff, the case must have been diddled and sensitively compared to other case.

Can anyone elaborate on what was going on here so I (maybe we) don't get into some sort of voodoo "never use uppercase letters on windows" sort of mood?  I hate that.

In case you haven't guessed, this is my first real windows project.  Arg.  You have to reboot a lot.  I guess that's good for my hands.

jeb.