tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mirek.Su...@intax.cz
Subject Bug at POSTing data to JSP page from Internet Explorer
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:08:33 GMT
Hi!

I have Tomcat 3.1.
I work with it under Windows 95.
My Web  browser is Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 (MSIE).

I think I found a bug while POSTing from HTML form to JSP page some data
(GETing works fine).

My HTML page (q.html)
****************************
<FORM action="q.jsp" method="get">
<INPUT type="text" name="q_par" value="get">
<INPUT type="submit">
</FORM>

<FORM action="q.jsp" method="post">
<INPUT type="text" name="q_par" value="post">
<INPUT type="submit">
</FORM>

My JSP page (q.jsp)
************************

<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>Problems with POST</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>
request.getParameter("q_par"):
<%= request.getParameter("q_par") %>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Describe of a bug
*********************

1) I press button for SUBMIT of the first HTML form (that is for GET).
    The q.jsp displays the correct text (that is GET).
2) I return to q.html.
3) I press button for SUBMIT of the second HTML form (that is for POST).
    MSIE works and works, but does not display q.jsp.
    Instead of it MSIE (after some 5 minutes) finishes with timeout error.

Remarks:
***********

1) I found that when I remove the line <INPUT type="text" name="q_par" value="post">
     from the second HTML form, q.jsp will displays (but empty, of course).
2)  Netscape works correctly for both two HTML forms.
3) MSIE sends HTTP header "Content-Length" as the one before last (that is before parameter
q_par).
3) Netscape sends HTTP header "Content-Length" as last one HTTP header.
4) The Specification at RFC 2068 does not speak about the order of HTTP headers.
My conclusion: Tomcat 3.1 has a bug.

Is it right? Has anybody any ideas how to make MSIE to POST data to JSP under Tomcat 3.1?

Thanks
     Mirek Subrt