tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jack Gavigan" <jack.gavi...@db.com>
Subject Re: another ROOT directory
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:02:31 GMT

>What special properties?

The "special properties" probably relate to the following
entry in the server.xml file that comes along with Tomcat:

<Context path="" docBase="webapps/ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true" ></Context>

If someone who's not dealt with Tomcat before tries to alter
the ApjServMount directives in the tomcat-apache.conf file,
to get stuff in the webapps/whatever directory to appear in
the root directory of the webserver, rather than
http://www.site.com/whatever/, it won't work and they'll see
Tomcat/Apache trying to access webapps/ROOT in the logs.

There's nothing on the docs about it, so only when they
finally notice the significance of the Context path entry in
server.xml above, and figure out what server.xml (or
equivalent, as sepcified in on the command line with -f)
actually does, will they realise that there's nothing
magical about ROOT after all.

They'll also probably be wondering how to stop Tomcat from
automatically loading everything under webapps/, until they
figure out that they need to uncomment the following line in
server.xml:

<ContextInterceptor className="org.apache.tomcat.context.AutoSetup" />

YMMV. I speak from my own experience only. :)

Jack Gavigan

destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.