tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Doug Ahmann" <dahm...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat stability issues
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:52:28 GMT
Mike,

Could you elaborate on your comments a bit? I've often heard the assertion
that there is some advantage to using the Apache JServ adapter to connect to
Tomcat instead of just serving up directly from Tomcat's built in server. I
honestly find this puzzling.

It seems to me that if you require some functionality that Apache offers
(SSL for instance), then indeed you might need Apache. Other than that, I'm
having a hard time imagining what any sort of advantage might be.

I did a big app with JServ, and I also wrote a C++ client to mod_jserv, so
I'm pretty familiar with how the JServ protocol works. Granted, the overhead
is minimal, but there is overhead.

And aren't we really talking about a 4 tier app vs. 3 tier when using
something like JServ which requires an extra net connection?
BROWSER->APACHE->JSERVCLIENT->DB vs. BROWSER->TOMCAT->DB

I can see how serving up static files might be faster with Apache, since its
written in C and very mature. But in theory, it seems to me that going
directly to Tomcat instead of shuttling all the data through Apache first
would eliminate a bit of unnecessary overhead when your app is mostly
dynamic.

Maybe this is a can of worms, but I would be curious to hear some opinions
on this from some people out there who might have some perspective on this
that I'm missing.

Thanks,
Doug

Doug Ahmann