tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dan Kirkpatrick" <dan.kirkpatr...@xxi.com>
Subject RE: stupid Windows question
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:18:49 GMT
I've seen a lot of answers to this question, but only one that will help
you, Jason.  I'll reiterate the answer, so as to allow you to avoid some
confusion.

The scroll bars and dos prompt stuff all will not help you, as the startup
script, "startup.bat" launches a second window before starting Jakarta.
This window goes away as soon as Jakarta encounters an error (it's probably
that you do not have JAVA_HOME, or possibly TOMCAT_HOME, defined in your
environment).  Thus, these solutions will not help.

To see the output from Jakarta after it dies, change the following line:

start java %TOMCAT_OPTS% -classpath %CP% -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%"
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

to:

java %TOMCAT_OPTS% -classpath %CP% -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%"
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

All I did is remove "start" from the beginning of this line.  This will
start jakarta in the same window in which the script is run.  This will
allow you to see the error messages Jakarta displays.

You may have to run the startup script from within a DOS window (I can't
remember if the window goes away after the error if you launch it from
within Windows).

I hope this helps, and I hope it saves you some time pursuing other avenues.

-dan