tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Econopouly" <john...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: More data on Jakarta Tomcat vs Resin.
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:48:08 GMT

There are applications available for that kind of thing, yes.
Some people recommend a util called ab, which comes with apache.

I wrote my own for my tests.  Basically, I wanted to simulate
600 applets connected to a servlet via HTTP tunnelling.  So I
just wrote a java app that splits off 600 threads, each of which
connects to the servlet in the same way that the applets ultimately
will, using HttpURLConnection.  Then I wrote another app that generates
messages to be sent to those pseudoapplets, one every minute.  The message I
send is just the "ones" digit of what minute it is - i.e. at 1:53:00 exactly
I send the message "3".  Finally, in the app that has the 600 threads, aka
the pseudoapplets, the main thread prints out the last message received by
all threads, along with the current time, once per second.  That way I can
see how long it takes for the message to reach all the pseudoapplets.

hope that helps