tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Greg Nieman" <cinti_...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: help, tomcat installation...
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:49:52 GMT
To get the server working standalone, you need to set up some environment
variables, JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME, respectively.  What these are set to
depends largely on your directory structure.  Refer to the docs for details,
but just to get you started, I can give you this rundown.

If you use something like Winzip unzip the jakarta-tomcat.zip into directory
called c:\tomcat you will wind up with a directory structure that looks
like:
c:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\<various subdirectories underneath>

or d: or e: if you are using a different drive.

Be sure that when you unzipped the file, you preserved the directory
structure underneath and that you have such dirs as \bin, \conf, etc.
Otherwise you are hosed.  If this is too basic, sorry, but I have seen
people do this.  Have done it myself without realizing it until things
didn't work.

You can do one of two things here.  First is just to take all the
subdirectories under \jakarta-tomcat and move them up to the \tomcat
directory.  You can then delete \jakarta-tomcat if you want.  The other is
just delete the whole \tomcat directory you have, unzip the file again,
choose the root directory as the destination, and end up with a
c:\jakarta-tomcat dir.  Then just rename this to tomcat.  You can do any of
this on the command line or in Explorer(my own choice).

When you have done this, you need to set up the environment to get running
initially.  There are a lot of ways to do this, but just to get things
rolling for you here the easiest way is to go to the dos box and get into
the c:\tomcat\bin directory(assuming you are on the c: drive.  Then type:
set JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.3 (or wherever you installed the jdk - if you haven't
installed the jdk, you need to go get it and install it)

set TOMCAT_HOME=c:\tomcat

startup

At this point you should get another dos window coming up and see the tomcat
server loading.  If you don't, you have an environment problem, more than
likely.  You should then be able to at least run the examples.

Try http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/index.html

Everything should run ok.

Note that this doesn't cover setting up your environment permanently(depends
on whether you have nt/2000 or 95/98), setting up classpaths for
development, or monkeying with the ports or web server integration(my own
favorite - tore my hair out before I found a corrupted file was causing the
problem).  I would try to just get the thing running and go from there -
baby steps.

I would check the archives below as well.  When I first go on to the board,
I didn't know where this stuff was, so I tossed some stuff out that I could
probably have waited on, since I eventually got it working myself anyway.
In some of the threads there are links to pages that go into a little more
detail on setup than what is out on Apache.

  Contributed by Bob Tanner:
  http://archives.real-time.com/rte-tomcat/

  Contributed by Philip J. Mikal since June 2000:
  http://mikal.org/interests/java/tomcat/index.html

Thanks to Wolfgang Stein for reposting these the other day, btw.  They were
very helpful, and I'm using them a great deal now that I know where they
are.

Try that stuff and see what happens.