tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Amos Shapira <amos.shap...@webcollage.com>
Subject RE: Bug in Tomcat? Response already committed?
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:43:06 GMT
In general, this error indicates that you tried to change the headers after
some data was already sent to the client (the first buffer became
full and had to be flushed down the TCP connection to make room for
the rest of the response).

"Changing headers" should include things like change of status code
(a redirect is such a thing), changing/adding a cookie, chaning the caching
status of the page etc.

Since, as far as I remember, the error handling is a special case of
redirecting
(to the error page), this could be the explenation (i.e. your page caused an
error after some data was already sent).

Possible conslusion - try to concentrate all the possible error-generating
code at the top before anything is sent to the user.

You can also try enlarging the buffer, but this isn't scalable.

I also think I saw an interface to get notified when a buffer is about to be
flushed (and thus "commit" the response), which might allow you to deffer
to commitment of the response, but I haven't tried it.

--Amos Shapira
WebCollage