tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Dane <...@hotu.com>
Subject Re: ApJservMount command
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:10:25 GMT

    Bill> Hello, can someone do a little better job explaining to me what
    Bill> ApJServMount /examples  /root

Bill -

Here's a line from the tomcat source which is (I think) responsible
for mapping requests from apache/jserv to tomcat:

    if("ROOT".equalsIgnoreCase( contextPath ) ) contextPath=null;

That is, the following are all equivalent:

 ApJServMount /examples  /
 ApJServMount /examples  /root
 ApJServMount /examples  /ROOT
 ApJServMount /examples  /RoOt

    Bill> means. What exactly does  /root  represent? Is it the root location of
    Bill> the webapps directory?

The server.xml file is used to set up mappings from contexts to
filesystem directories.  A line line

	<Context path=""
		docBase="/www/webroot" debug="1" reloadable="true" >
	</Context>

Would map the root context to the directory "/www/webroot"
I think (but am not certain) that you could have "/" in the path
attribute above.

There is also an "AutoSetup interceptor" (betcha didn't see anything
about that in the docs) which I always disable.  I think it works by
trying to find the "webapps" directory under the tomcat root, and
automatically mapping the directories it finds there to contexts.  So
if you've got directories "examples", "admin" and "root" under
"webapps", you'll get contexts for "/examples", "/admin", and "/".

--

joe