tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chris Audley <CAud...@urbanfetch.com>
Subject RE: need help...
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:26:43 GMT
You need to specify the property name with a lower case first letter

<jsp:setProperty name="customer" property="customerList" value="This is a
test" />
<jsp:getProperty name="customer" property="customerList" />

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Applin [mailto:fapplin@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 4:12 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: need help...

Can someone help? I've been working through the book "Pure JSP - A Code
Intensive Premium Reference" by James Goodwill. I have been using the Tomcat
server just fine through all of the examples, until I tried to do something
on my own. I've created a very simple JavaBean and a very simple JSP, but I
can't seem to get beyond an error (see below).
******
The book instructed on how to change the server.xml file (which I did):

<Context path="/purejsp" docBase="purejsp"
defaultSessionTimeOut="30" isWARExpanded="true"
isWARValidated="false" isInvokerEnabled="true"
isWorkDirPesistent="false" />
******
My .class file is located in purejsp/WEB-INF/classes directory and my .jsp
file is located in the purejsp directory.
******
Here's the error that I keep getting:

Error: 500
Location: /purejsp/CustomerList.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Cannot find any information on property
'CustomerList' in a bean of type 'CustomerInformation'
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.getReadMethod(JspRuntimeLibrary.
java, Compiled Code)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.GetPropertyGenerator.generate(GetPropertyGenerato
r.java:101)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener$GeneratorWrapper.generate(J
spParseEventListener.java, Compiled Code)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.generateAll(JspParseEventLi
stener.java, Compiled Code)
 at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.endPageProcessing(JspParseE
ventListener.java:169)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java, Compiled
Code)
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:413)
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
rvlet.java:149)
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:161)
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java, Compiled
Code)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java,
Compiled Code)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
 at
onnectionHandler.java:160)
 at
)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)
******
Here's  the JSP:
<%@ page errorPage="errorpage.jsp" %>
<head>
<title>Customer List Page</title>
</head>
<jsp:useBean id="customer" scope="session" class="CustomerInformation" />
<jsp:setProperty name="customer" property="CustomerList" value="This is a
test" />
<jsp:getProperty name="customer" property="CustomerList" />
******
Here's the JavaBean, I've commented out most of the code to keep it as
simple as possible:

import java.lang.*;
import java.sql.*;
import java.util.*;

public class CustomerInformation
{
    public String CustomerList = "";
    private Hashtable customerInfo = new Hashtable ();
 public CustomerInformation()
 {
/*     try {
         Class.forName ("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver");
      Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection ("jdbc:odbc:AsaDemo",
"dba", "sql");
      Statement smnt = con.createStatement ();

      ResultSet rs = smnt.executeQuery ("SELECT id, company_name FROM
customers");
      while (rs.next ()) {
          String id = (new Integer (rs.getInt (1))).toString ();
          String companyName = rs.getString (1);
          customerInfo.put (id, companyName);
      } //end while
      con.close ();
  } //end try
  catch (Exception e) {
      System.err.println (e.getMessage ());
  }//end catch
*/
 } //end constructor

    public String getCustomerList ()
    {
        return CustomerList;
    } //end method

    public void setCustomerList (String value)
    {
/*
        StringBuffer html = new StringBuffer ();
        html.append ("<table border =\"1\">");
        Enumeration elements = customerInfo.elements ();
        while (elements.hasMoreElements ()) {
            html.append ("<tr>");
            html.append ("<td>" + (String) elements.nextElement () +
"</td>");
            html.append ("<td>" + (String) elements.nextElement () +
"</td>");
            html.append ("</tr>");
        } //end while
        CustomerList = html.toString ();