tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rachel Greenham <rachel.green...@enetgroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: JServ or Jakarta?
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:33:47 GMT
Samuel Yuen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would be glad if someone answer me a little question.
>
> I need a servlet server running in Sun Sparc / Apache in order to attend
> to a mission critical task. I have only worked with JRun before. Which
> are the differences between JServ and Jakarta and can I rely on Jakarta
> since it's in beta version?

Well, we just upgraded one of our largest client's sites running on Solaris
to Tomcat 3.1, where it was previously on Apache JServ, and it seems to be
coping. Take a look at it on http://www.pcwbd.com and see if you can break
it. :-) Only if you do, please tell me about it - we are still in shakedown.
We did the upgrade because we're starting to use JSP now for future
development, and it lets us move our application forwards to be a proper
J2EE Enterprise Application.

One of the nice things of course about having the source is that we can put
in our own emergency fixes when we need to - eg: the one running that site
has my one-line fix for request.getScheme() to return https when it should.
I *do* hope that's going to be fixed in the next release version...

--
Rachel