tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rachel Greenham <rachel.green...@enetgroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Is there any file maximum name size?
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:31:08 GMT
Robert Oxspring wrote:

> Don't forget that Windows has a maximum file length - I think it's in
> the region of 250 chars.  This makes some sense since the path
> specified is 271 chars long, whereas if subsituted with the CDS varient
> the string is 256 chars.
>
> Why not try to create the file youself and therby find out whether the
> problem is due to the OS.

Actually, this reminds me. It might be nice to run Tomcat under Mac OS - It
has a nice very fast JVM but severe limitations on file name lengths as well
as not being able to have $ signs in them. This would only be a problem for
MacOS with respect to JSPs because of the generated java and class files you
get. Are there any solutions to this? (Like, would it be possible to alter
the behaviour of the code that maps .jsp file names to the Java class
names?)

--
Rachel