tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Philip Smith <>
Subject Re: SSL working, but how to use a certificate?
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:44:06 GMT
I believe I had a similar problem. The fix that worked for me is to make
sure the certificate is signed with an RSA generated key. The keyview
default is DSA. I assume this allows the web browser to decrypt the
certificate and negotiate the cipher suite. See the keyview manual page.

$ keytool -genkey -keyalg RSA ....

Ken wrote:

> Thanks for all of your help.
> Tomcat is now running SSL in standalone mode and talking nicely with
> netscape and IE.
> Next, I'd like to make this function in a useful way!
> How do I use an existing SSL certificate and private keyfile in tomcat?
> I need to be able to either request new certificates by generating csr's
> like we do with c2net's apache stronghold - that I can plug into tomcat
> for specific domains, or import existing certificates.
> I am able to use keytool to import a certificate file, but I don't know
> where to put the private key??
> Tomcat complains "IOException reading request, ignored -
> no cipher suites in common" and Netscape
> says it "can't communicate securely."
> I basically understand how keytool works, but I must be missing
> something bigger. A point toward the right documentation would be great.
> Thanks,
> -Ken

Philip Smith
(415) 437-1447