tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Minimum Tomcat
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2000 15:45:25 GMT
Dave James wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Could someone tell me what the minimum requirement is in order to run
> Tomcat. I need it to run as an HTTP server and servlet container, no support
> for jsp is required. Specifically, what can I strip out of the 3.1 release
> and still have full functionality as described above.

That's actually pretty simple:

* In "conf/web.xml", eliminate the <servlet> declaration for the JSP servlet,
  and eliminate the <servlet-mapping> declaration for the "*.jsp" mapping.

* Remove the "jasper.jar" JAR file from $TOMCAT_HOME/lib.

This should leave you a servlet container that can serve static files and run
servlets.  You are not actually saving much versus running a stock Tomcat 3.1
installation, though -- the JSP stuff will not be used unless you ask for it, so
there is no particular penalty in just running the standard code.

> Thanks.

Craig McClanahan