tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: shared classes for serialisation
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2000 18:34:34 GMT
Wolfgang Stein wrote:

> > In cases where the Servlet Container doesn't already support
> > Servlet API 2.2 ...
>
> Ok, i admit my last posting was a bit off topic since Tomcat
> supports 2.2.  I got confused with my mailing lists.
>
> But the following is not (i swear i searched the archives, FAQ etc):
>
> Our web application uses Applet-Servlet communication through
> serialized objects. They are bundled in package
>    commpack
>
> The servlet classes reside as usual in
>    myContext/WEB-INF/classes
>
> The package classes are in
>    myContext/WEB-INF/classes/commpack
>
> Where do i have to put the Applet directory with its Applet classes
> that also needs to access 'commpack' (beside other applet packages) ?
>
> My Tomcat is running stand alone on WinNT.

You will need to make a copy of the shared classes somewhere outside of
the WEB-INF directory.  The reason for this is that Tomcat, or any
servlet container, will only look within WEB-INF, but you can't specify a
codebase for the applets of "WEB-INF/classes" -- the servlet container is
prohibited by the 2.2 spec from serving any files under WEB-INF directly
to the client, so the applet has no way to download the classes from
there.

> Thanks in advance
> Wolfgang

Craig McClanahan