tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tom Parris <tmpar...@earthlink.net>
Subject Mea Culpa: Apache/Tomcat not setting response codes correctly.
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2000 01:48:28 GMT
Mea Culpa:

I've written a puny client Applet that displays all of the http response
headers returned by Tomcat (or any other http server) given a URL.  It is
setting all of the headers I would expect.  No problem.

However, the Apache logs always indicate a response code of 200.  It still
strikes me that Apache should log the response code given to it by Tomcat
(at least as an option).  This would:

1. Allow an httpd log analyzer to make sense of things (without having to
learn the Tomcat log file formats.

2. Allow Apache to handle the processing for error messages (e.g., 404 not
found pages and the like). Though, for servlet generated error pages, it
would make sense to leave the task with Tomcat (via the <error-page>
directives).  Since developers would likely want to set this parameter for
each web app, it shouldbe handled as an optional third parameter to the
ApJServMount directive in httpd.conf.  Values would be:

log200 -- always log 200 for requests passed through to Tomcat, always let
Tomcat handle the error processing (default)
logTc -- log the response code returned by Tomcat, but let Tomcat process
the errors.
actTc -- log and act on the response code given by Tomcat (e.g., by using
Apaches 404.html file).

-- Tom