tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sandor Spruit <aspr...@acm.org>
Subject Re: READ THIS First! Mailing-list archive and good tips
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:53:31 GMT

Wolfgang,

On Monday, August 21, 2000, 6:50:56 PM, you wrote:

Wolfgang> ------------ Before posting any questions ---------------

Wolfgang> + We welcome open discussion of Tomcat issues at both advanced
Wolfgang>   and beginner levels of expertise. However, please be respectful
Wolfgang>   of other people's time. Before posting questions, do your own
Wolfgang>   reading and research. As the saying goes, "There are no stupid
Wolfgang>   questions"... except the ones you could have answered by yourself!

Agreed 100% - no discussion possible. Still, IMHO there's always room
for some improvement ...

Some of the things I learned from just *one* posting, answered within
15 minutes (!) were not explained so clearly in the docs that come
with either Apache or Tomcat. Like: you need a different jserv.dll for
Tomcat then the jserv version, forget about most of the jserv stuff.

It might be a good idea to stress these things a little more in the
docs, i.e. in the user guide - an otherwise very useful document. If
I've understood the replies to my posting, the distribution could do
without the rather confusing tomcat.properties jserv-style file. The
presence of this very file tricked me into trying to do things the
familiar jserv way, instead of looking at the xml config files.

I am in the midst of a move, i.e. my department is moving over to
another building. When I've some idle time to spare while folks are

A link to the Tomcat-users archive on the mailing list page would not
be a bad idea, either ... I've been trying to find an archive for this
list, to no avail.

Regards,
Sandor
--
ir A.G.L. Spruit, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
Institute of information and computing sciences