tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sandor Spruit <>
Subject Re: READ THIS First! Mailing-list archive and good tips
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:53:31 GMT

On Monday, August 21, 2000, 6:50:56 PM, you wrote:

Wolfgang> ------------ Before posting any questions ---------------

Wolfgang> + We welcome open discussion of Tomcat issues at both advanced
Wolfgang>   and beginner levels of expertise. However, please be respectful
Wolfgang>   of other people's time. Before posting questions, do your own
Wolfgang>   reading and research. As the saying goes, "There are no stupid
Wolfgang>   questions"... except the ones you could have answered by yourself!

Agreed 100% - no discussion possible. Still, IMHO there's always room
for some improvement ...

Some of the things I learned from just *one* posting, answered within
15 minutes (!) were not explained so clearly in the docs that come
with either Apache or Tomcat. Like: you need a different jserv.dll for
Tomcat then the jserv version, forget about most of the jserv stuff.

It might be a good idea to stress these things a little more in the
docs, i.e. in the user guide - an otherwise very useful document. If
I've understood the replies to my posting, the distribution could do
without the rather confusing jserv-style file. The
presence of this very file tricked me into trying to do things the
familiar jserv way, instead of looking at the xml config files.

I am in the midst of a move, i.e. my department is moving over to
another building. When I've some idle time to spare while folks are

A link to the Tomcat-users archive on the mailing list page would not
be a bad idea, either ... I've been trying to find an archive for this
list, to no avail.

ir A.G.L. Spruit, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
Institute of information and computing sciences
"There is a bit of magic in everything, and then some
loss to even things out" (from: Lou Reed, "Magic and Loss")

View raw message