tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rajnish Bhaskar" <r.bhas...@compserv.gla.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Tomcat stability issues
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:07:26 GMT
Hi Simon,

>  As far as I can tell (see my earlier emails) there is no way to run
> tomcat on port 80 unless it runs as user "root".

I don't know if this will work in Unix, but in Windows, you
can change what port that Tomcat listens on in the
server.xml file.  You have to change the parameter tag of the
connector.  Eg change:

        <Connector
className="org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector
">
            <Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandle
r"/>
            <Parameter name="port" value="8080"/>
        </Connector>

to:

        <Connector
className="org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector
">
            <Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandle
r"/>
            <Parameter name="port" value="80"/>
        </Connector>

(Just changing the Parameter name="port" value).

Like I said, I don't know if this will work in Unix, but I hope
that it helps.

Raj.

Rajnish Bhaskar
r.bhaskar@compserv.gla.ac.uk, http://i.am/rajy
IT Education Unit, University of Glasgow
http://www.iteu.gla.ac.uk/
--
Um, I tend to either agree or disagree with you
-- Kev - to Nick Abbot on Talk Radio