tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <ve...@veldy.net>
Subject Re: Running Tomcat as user nobody
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:26:44 GMT
I haven't had any problems with it.  Did you take a look at this page:

http://web.inter.nl.net/users/kjkoster/java/content/packages.html#hd01

This guy has patches to make a FreeBSD 1.2.2 JDK from the Solaris source.
It works pretty well for Server side stuff - with OpenJIT.  I have not
really done any performance tests on it though.

He then (the above link) tells how to install Ant and Tomcat on a FreeBSD
system using the new JDK.  It should work just as well with JDK1.1.8.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael A. Alderete <alderete@haightlife.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 11:51 PM
Subject: Running Tomcat as user nobody

Hi,

How can I get Tomcat to run as user "nobody" on my FreeBSD system? I
imagine it's a line or two in one of the startup shell scripts for Tomcat,
but I can't get that to work; I keep getting "this account is not
available" error messages, presumably because nobody is using /sbin/nologin
for a shell.

Here's my configuration:

FreeBSD 3.2
Apache 1.3.12
Tomcat 3.1
JDK 1.1.8 from the FreeBSD ports collection

Even if no one here is running FreeBSD, I'd imagine the procedure is
similar for Linux, if you can tell me how you did it there.

Thanks!

Michael
--

What have YOU done for Keyser Söze lately?
---