tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "blackmon" <black...@razorfish.com>
Subject RE: READ THIS First! Mailing-list archive and good tips
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:47:16 GMT
If you guys would take one-fifth the time writing a decent user's manual
that
deals with the myriad configuration issues associated with Tomcat and Apache
and the combination of the 2 and NOT assume that everyone is as familiar
with
setup, paths, directory associations, contexts, XML etc. and that NOT
everyone enjoys trial-and-error discovery and that NOT everyone has the time
to waste determining how all of these things are SUPPOSED to work together,
there wouldn't be so many 'stupid' questions.

Perhaps you should look at the documentation and help files that accompany
JavaWebServer and JRun for examples, or (gasp!) , create a setup wizard and
provide understandable HTML documentation. An example of directories and the
related files that should be in them should not be asking too much.

No, the next version of Tomcat is not the answer. Tomcat confirms the old
saying 'you get what you pay for.'

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandor Spruit [mailto:aspruit@acm.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 4:54 AM
To: Wolfgang Stein

Wolfgang,

On Monday, August 21, 2000, 6:50:56 PM, you wrote:

Wolfgang> ------------ Before posting any questions ---------------

Wolfgang> + We welcome open discussion of Tomcat issues at both advanced
Wolfgang>   and beginner levels of expertise. However, please be respectful
Wolfgang>   of other people's time. Before posting questions, do your own
Wolfgang>   reading and research. As the saying goes, "There are no stupid
Wolfgang>   questions"... except the ones you could have answered by
yourself!

Agreed 100% - no discussion possible. Still, IMHO there's always room
for some improvement ...

Some of the things I learned from just *one* posting, answered within
15 minutes (!) were not explained so clearly in the docs that come
with either Apache or Tomcat. Like: you need a different jserv.dll for
Tomcat then the jserv version, forget about most of the jserv stuff.

It might be a good idea to stress these things a little more in the
docs, i.e. in the user guide - an otherwise very useful document. If
I've understood the replies to my posting, the distribution could do
without the rather confusing tomcat.properties jserv-style file. The
presence of this very file tricked me into trying to do things the
familiar jserv way, instead of looking at the xml config files.

I am in the midst of a move, i.e. my department is moving over to
another building. When I've some idle time to spare while folks are

A link to the Tomcat-users archive on the mailing list page would not
be a bad idea, either ... I've been trying to find an archive for this
list, to no avail.

Regards,
Sandor
--
ir A.G.L. Spruit, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
Institute of information and computing sciences