tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Fyfe" <...@cnicorp.com>
Subject RE: Distributed Example WEB.XML Crashes JVM 1.2.2
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:01:58 GMT
In an XML document, the < and & characters are interpreted as markup characters. In
order to put them in your text you must encode them as &lt; and &amp; respectively.
Also, you may have to encode greater-than (&gt;), quote (&quot;), and apostrophe (&apos;)
if they could be confused as markup characters, so it is a good idea to always encode them
just to be safe.

This is standard XML and has nothing to do with Tomcat.

I don't know why you should have a problem with a slash, though, unless it is being treated
as a Java escape char. You could try using // to see if you end up with only one.

HTH
Steve

Steve Fyfe
CNI Corporation