tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Eisner <cra...@Glue.umd.edu>
Subject Re: URL Rewriting
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:43:56 GMT

With Tomcat 3.2b1, encodeURL() seems to work correctly with both
(1) and (2) below.  So it looks like the issue *was* the -1 return value
for a URL with an implicit port number.

-David

P.S.  I accidentally deleted today's entries in this thread, so forgive me
      if this has already been confirmed.

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> "Rob S." wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > > My basic finding was that if you use port 8080, bypassing Apache, then
> > > URL encoding worked.  If I used port 80, however, encodeURL() just
> > > returned the URL unchanged.
> >
> > Although I don't have any experience with this, from reading the list, I
> > believe this is the case.
> >

> Could someone who is experiencing this problem try two simple experiments
> and report back (turning off cookies in your browser)?
>
> (1) Explicitly use port 80 on the URL
>
>     http://localhost:80/xxxx
>
> (2) Modify your Apache config to have Apache listen on some other port
>      (say 7070) and try that:
>
>     http://localhost:7070/xxxxx
>
> If the "default port" issue is the culprit, then you should get URLs
> rewritten in both of these cases.
>
> NOTE!!!!!  In order for the session ids to actually *work*, you also need to
> have the MOD_REWRITE stuff set up in your httpd.conf file.  But having that
> by itself is not enough if rewriting never happens in the first place, which
> is what we're trying to fix here.
>
> > - r
>
> Craig

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle@eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |