tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Eisner <>
Subject Re: Java Swing and Tomcat
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:35:06 GMT
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Niambh Scullion (LMI) wrote:

> Hello all,
>             I hope some-one out there can help me , I am trying to
> invoke a swing applet from a servlet .now this applet works fine on
> its own but , when I try and call the applet from the servlet it hangs
> ( I am using a html converter which works fine on the standalone
> browser) ......I read on Sun's forum that someone else had the same
> problem and they were advised to check the server logs ... my
> questions are
> 1) can tomcat  support the running of swing applets?
> 2) Where can I check in tomcat to see if the servlet can actually see
> the applet class file ........
> thanx in advance Niambh

I've managed to get Swing applets working with Tomcat.  This example
is specific to netscape.  I have my application directory setup
like this:

  venice[ ...webapps/NfemMesher ]% ls
  WEB-INF/         applet_classes/  index.html       javadoc/

  venice[ ...webapps/NfemMesher ]% ls applet_classes/
  NfemMesherApplet.class   calce.jar

And the servlet generated HTML code for the applet looks like this:

  <EMBED type="application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2"
    height="400" align="baseline"
    No JDK 1.2 support for APPLET.  Too bad.

There may be a better way to do this.  I asked about this on the list
a month or two ago, but nobody responded.

David Eisner            | E-mail: |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |

View raw message